Thursday, April 3, 2014

In S.T.E.P.P.S. in Mexico

By Mayra Corona, M.D., Case Supervisor 

In March I was visiting family in Puebla, Mexico. While on my vacation, I was contacted by Wendy Lopez, director of a psychiatric hospital in Mexico, who invited me to give a talk about therapeutic techniques being used in California for children with autism. The talk was intended for psychiatrists, doctors, special education teachers, and parents. I thought it would a nice opportunity to talk about ABA, PRT and our work with children and adolescents with autism. I have spoken in front of groups before and thought I knew what to expect. The presentation was scheduled on a Saturday,from 8am-11am and I was amazed that more than 800 people attended!. I talked about autism, provided an introduction to ABA (history and basic concepts ) and gave a brief presentation on Pivotal Response Teaching (PRT), the methodology used at In Stepps. Many people in the audience had never heard about ABA or PRT and they were very interested, and participated in the discussion with questions and comments. I was so happy to be a part of In Stepps and to have the opportunity to bring such important and needed information to my native country. I am hopeful we can continue to share our knowledge with professionals and parents in Mexico!






No comments:

Post a Comment